If you’re anything like me, you’re feeling fat, tired, over-fed, over-intoxicated, under-exercised and ready to get back into some form of sensible and healthy routine. Here are my 5 top tips for undoing all of the damage of December:
1. Dry January – Whether you drink alcohol or not, cutting out calorific drinks for a month is a great way to drop your sugar intake, build focus and make positive changes to your waistline. So focus on water basically. I don’t always do dry January, and this year I’m still trying to gain weight, however…I’m going to cut out alcohol throughout January because I drank a heap during December and I want to really focus on building my business this year. Not drinking will definitely help this. It’ll save me some cash too!
2. Have a clear out – You have two options…quickly eat all of the remaining treats in your house so they’re gone forever, or throw them out and start healthy from today! I’m about to sit down with my wife and eat the chocolate and crisps form last night’s NYE celebrations so we can be back in the game from tomorrow. There’s a tonne of alcohol to be drunk, but we’ll be abstaining from that for the next 31 days.
3. Set some S.M.A.R.T. Goals – Whether it’s fitness goals or life goals, spend 10 minutes writing a list of things you want to achieve. I do this at the start of every year and include things like holidays, fitness goals, personal goals, business goals, social goals etc. Any changes you want to make to your life will be more likely to happen if you plan them out properly, so use the S.M.A.R.T. Goals system to ensure that you’re making quality goals and not just some nonsense ideas that you’l forget about two weeks into 2020. I recommend you use this free download to plan your goals: download my free goal planning document
4. Set reminders to constantly revisit your goals – you can easily forget about things if you lose focus on them. Keep yourself motivated by regularly checking on the goals you’ve set so that you can measure your progress. I suggest a monthly review to start with so put some monthly reminders in your diary to ensure maximum results.
5. Forget about last year and those before and focus on where you’re going. It’s like Vanilla Ice said in the movie Cool as Ice. “It ain’t were you’re from, it’s where you’re at” so forget about the shit that happened, forget about the things you’ve lost and look at you current situation, and work out how you can improve upon that.
I hope you find that useful but like anything, it’s only good if you implement it. Don’t just read my email and think “yeah, he’s right” but not do anything about it. Download that document and start setting some S.M.A.R.T. Goals now. Or download the doc and set a time in your diary in a couple of days to spend 10 minutes or even 30 minutes considering what you want from 2020.
Happy New Year!