who am i? what are my qualifications and what experience do i have?
Below you’ll find my story, reasons for doing this, background, experience and qualifications.
I’m Dom Thorpe, and I founded this company in 2008 when I saw a clear need for fitness training for people who didn't "fit the mould" and were uncomfortable with the standard exercises offered by personal trainers and online exercise regimes.
Growing up with my Mum, who had Multiple Sclerosis highlighted the challenges that living with a disability can pose. When I learned how fitness and nutriton can help people with all kinds of conditions and chronic illnesses, I went all in.
By the time I'd started this journey, my Mum had already fallen into a comotose state as a result of the MS, but that drove me more to get out there and make an impact.
I've now almost 20 years experience in the fitness industry and almost 15 of those have been spent focusing on people with disabilities and chronic illnesses.
I look for what people "CAN" do rather than focusing on what they can't do. Once we've established what that is and built a manageable exercise regime, then I start to look at what people want to be able to do and work out how we can work towards it.
I believe that no matter what your disability, there is always some form of exercise or nutrition regime which can benefit you, both physically and mentally.
Some of the more common conditions I have experience with are listed below (in order of quantity) but there are many more not listed.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Chronic Fatigue
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
- Long Covid
- Ehlers Danlos
- Guillain Barre
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Chronic Pain Syndrome
- Parkinson’s Disorder
- Stroke Patients
- Motor Neurone Disease
- Autism & Aspergers
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Progressive Aphasia
- Down’s Syndrome
- Age Related Conditions
Below is a list of my qualifications followed by my certificates.
However, in all honesty, the extensive qualifications which I’ve acquired over the years taught me nothing when compared to the amount I’ve learnt "on the job" since I began working with clients in 2008.
This field is so diverse, yet so niche, there aren’t qualifications fit for the job so I’ve had to continuously learn from experience.
I've learnt a lot in the past 15 years however I’m under no illusions…there’s still SO much more to learn.
- Precision Nutrition Level 1
- CYQ Physical Activity for Ante/Post Natal Exercise
- YMCA Fit Ante & Post Natal Fitness
- Premier Global A1 Assessor Award
- Wright Foundation Referral Programme Consultant
- FIA Exercise Referral
- NVQ Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise
- Skills Active Advanced Apprenticeship in Active Leisure & Learning
- CYQ Advanced Exercise & Fitness Knowledge
- CYQ Certificate in Understanding The Fitness Industry
- Level 3 Advanced Gym Instructor
- GP Referral
- YMCA Fit - Exercise & Fitness for Disabled People
- CYQ Adapted Physical Activity for The Disabled Person
- ISRM Welcoming Disabled People
- Level 2 Fitness Instructor
- BSc Level Anatomy & Physiology, Kinesiology & Biomechanics